Department of Health, Aging, & Society
Department of Economics
Director, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis
Associate Scientist, Institut de Recherche et Documentation en Èconomie de la Santé
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton , Ontario L8S 4M4
- PhD, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales, Economic History, 1993
- MA, École Nationale de la Satistique et de l'Administration Économique, 1986
I have been at McMaster since 2004, after having worked as a scientist for the agency in charge of family and welfare in France (1987-97), then as a senior researcher with IRDES, Institute for Health Economics in Paris (1997-2004). I’m currently associate professor with the Department of Health, Aging and Society and the Department of Economics at McMaster University and the Director of the Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis, a University-based centre fostering inter-disciplinary research (http://www.chepa.org/).
I am the editor-in-chief of Health Reform Observer / Observatoire des Réformes de Santé (http://digitalcommons.mcmaster.ca/hro-ors/) an open access, peer-reviewed, online journal presenting the best evidence available on reforms related to the governance, financing and delivery of health care in the Canadian provinces and territories. The journal aims to be a bridge between scholars and decision-makers and facilitate the flow of rigorous, evidence-based information.
My current research includes:
- A project (funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Cars) to study the impact of reporting unmet need for health care on subsequent variations in health
- A study, also funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, of the role unequal use of primary care in the income-related inequality in inpatient care utilization: do the poor use more inpatient care (for a given health need) because they do not control their health as well as the rich through primary care?
- A study funded by CIHI (Canadian Institute for Health Information) on the efficiency of the health care system.
- Projects funded by Health Canada, and La Chaire Santé (Université Paris Dauphine, France) on various aspects of long-term care financing.
- Studies on the definition of need in the health care context: what do experiments on stated preferences tell us about need?
- A study of affordability of and accessibility to supplementary health insurance in France.
Grignon, M., Access and health insurance, Encyclopedia of Health Insurance (A.J. Culyer, editor), Elsevier (Amsterdam), forthcoming.
Grignon, M., Owusu, Y., and Sweetman, A. (2013), The International Migration of Health Professionals, International Handbook on the Economics of Migration (Klaus F. Zimmerman and Amélie F. Constant, editors), Edward Elgar(Cheltenham UK), Chapter 4: 75-97.
Bourgeault, I and M. Grignon, (2013) A comparison of cross-professional boundaries in OECD countries, European Journal of Comparative Economics, 10(2): 199-223
Roham, Mehrdad, Anait R. Gabrielyan, Norman P. Archer, Michel Grignon, and Byron G. Spencer, (2013) The impact of technological intensity of service provision on physician expenditures: an exploratory investigation, Health Economics, Article first published online : 14 AUG 2013, DOI: 10.1002/hec.2979.
Longo, C., Grignon, M., (2012) The value of fixed reimbursement insurance against cancer related losses: Simulations to investigate state dependent utility. Global Business and Economics Review, 14(4): 322-337
Grignon, M. (2012) A Democratic Responsiveness Approach to Real Reform: An Exploration of Health Care Systems' Resilience Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 37(4): 665-676; published ahead of print March 30, 2012, doi:10.1215/03616878-1597475
Grignon M., Spencer B.G., Wang L., Is There an Age Pattern in the Treatment of AMI? Evidence from Ontario, (2010) Canadian Journal on Aging/Revue canadienne du vieillissement, 29(3): 317-332.
Grignon M., Hurley J., Wang L., Allin S., Inequity in a market-based health system: Evidence from Canada's dental sector, (2010) Health Policy, DOI: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2010.05.018
Allin, S., Grignon, M., Le Grand J., Subjective Unmet Need and Utilization of Health Care services in Canada: What are the Equity Implications? (2010) Social Science and Medicine, 70(3) 2010: 465-472
Grignon, M., An empirical investigation of heterogeneity in time preferences and smoking behaviours, (2009) Journal of Socio-Economics, 38: 739-751
Grignon, M. Pourquoi les systèmes de santé sont ils organisés différemment? (2009) Revue Economique 60(2): 545-558
Grignon, M. Le système de santé au Canada, (2008) Revue Française des Affaires Sociales 62(4): 67-87
Jusot, F., Grignon, M., Dourgnon, P., (2008) Access to psycho-social resources and health: exploratory findings from a survey of the French population, Health Economics Policy and Law, 3: 365-391
Grignon, M., The role of education in health system performance (2008), Economics of Education Review, 27: 299-307
Grignon, M., Perronnin, M., Lavis, J., Does free supplementary health insurance help the poor to access health care? Evidence from France (2008), Health Economics, 17: 203-219